Faraday’s Kitchen Store hosts demonstration cooking classes throughout the year in Austin Texas. You will watch, listen and learn as the chef-instructor demonstrates techniques and prepares recipes for you to sample. A light meal is provided. Classes range from 10 to 15 students per class, and each space is sold in advance on a first come, first serve basis. If classes are full, we will be happy to add you to our waiting list.
You can register today for any of the cooking classes listed below in-store, or call our main number 512-266-5666 and press 3 on the main menu for a sales associate to register by phone. Most classes are held from 6pm to 8pm unless otherwise specified.
Important Additional Information
2013 Cooking Class Calendar
April 2013- All classes are held in the store
- Tuesday, April 2nd, 9th and 16th - THREE PART Seafood Cooking Series with Chef Katy Parker. In this demonstration-style class series, you’ll learn to cook a wide variety of fish and shellfish, along with tasty side dishes and sauces to bring your meals to the next level. The menu for this series includes: Seared Scallops with Spaghetti Squash and Tomato and Olive Salad, Grilled Salmon with Mango Salsa, Fried Oyster Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette and Goat Cheese, Fried Shrimp or Softshell Crab Poboy with Remoulade, Salt Baked Whole Fish and Shrimp with Romesco Sauce and Chimichurri, and Crab Cakes With Fresh Citrus Salad.Class will take place on 3 consecutive Tuesdays, April 2nd, 9th and 16th – choose EITHER the Morning Session (10 am to Noon) OR the Evening Session (6 pm to 8 pm). The cost for this class is $179 per person.
- Wednesday, April 3rd from 6pm to 8:00 pm – A Taste of Beijing: A Home-Style Chinese Supper with Chef Mary Helen Leonard. When Mary Helen Leonard, cook and food writer of Austin Food Blog ”Mary Makes Dinner”, moved to Beijing she discovered a whole new world of food unlike anything she’d ever seen on a Chinese take-out menu. Discover the flavors and techniques of home-style Chinese cooking, a simple cuisine based on seasonal vegetables, fresh herbs, and bold spices. In this demonstration class, you’ll enjoy Spicy Tomato Soup with Crab and Scallion; Home Style Stir Fry with Farm Egg and Seasonal Vegetables; Steamed Rice with Goji and Black Sesame; and for dessert, Sweet Corn Ice Cream with Sugar Sesame Wontons. The cost for this class is $49 per person.
- Wednesday, April 10th from 6pm to 8pm – Spicy Indian Curry Feast with Chef Birjis Rashed. You’ll love Chef Birjis’s knowledge of exotic spices and flavors, and the meal will rival the best Indian restaurant in Austin. Menu for this demonstration class includes: Pakoda (Deep Fried Onion Fritters), Spicy Shrimp Curry in an Onion and Tomato base with Spices, Basmati Rice with Spices and Dry Fruits, and Sooji Halwa – An exotic Indian dessert made with Semolina, and garnished with Dry Fruits. The cost of this class is $49 per person.
- Wednesday, April 17th from 6pm to 8pm – The Paella Experience with Chef Maria Fernanada Candil. Chef Fer brings the knowledge she learned from her upbringing in Spain to this always-popular demonstration class! Menu includes: Almejas a la marinera (Fisherman’s Clams) and Pinxto de manchego con tomate (Manchego Cheese with Tomato); “Texas Style” Paella, with Spanish Chorizo, Sausage, and Chicken; and for Dessert, Buñuelos de Manzana (Apple Puffs). This class will run 2½ hours, and is $49 per person. Final class at our Oak Grove Plaza location – new classes will start up in June 2013 at Faraday’s NEW Location in the Shops at the Galleria, 12918 Shops Parkway, Suite 540, Austin, TX 78738.
March 2013- All classes are held in the store
- Wednesday, March 20th from 6pm to 8:00 pm – A tasty Twist on Grlled Lamb Loin with Chef Andrew Brooks. Celebrate the first day of spring with Chef Andrew’s flavorful take on Lamb! Menu includes: Red Wine and Pepper Marinated Loin of Lamb on the Grill with Whipped Cider, Fresh Sweet Pea Panna Cotta, Roasted Carrot Risotto Croquettes, and for dessert, Lemon Caramel & Toasted Walnut Semifreddo. The cost for this class is $55 per person.
February 2013- All classes are held in the store
- Wednesday, February 6th from 6pm to 8:30 pm – Join Chef Alicia Ojeda as she teaches you how to eat healthier using a Dehydrator! You’ll learn now to dry and store your fresh produce, and how to create tasty entrees, snacks, and desserts. Dishes to be prepared include: Dried Celery Seasoning; Sun-Dried Tomatoes; Fruit Roll-ups; Seasoned Nuts, Seeds and Mixes (both sweet and savory); Crunchy Chia Crackers; Kale Chips; Corn Tortillas; and Coconut Walnut Brownies. Chef Alicia will provide you with an abundance of information that will show you just how very useful your dehydrator can be. This class is 2.5 hours long. The cost for this class is $59 per person.
- Saturday, February 16th from 11 am to 1 pm- “Train your Taster!” with Chef Katy Parker. Change the way you think about food! Through a series of tasting exercises, this class will train your taste buds to detect and indentify different flavors found in your food. This will allow you to better pair your dishes and beverages, to more accurately describe food and flavors, and become a better cook overall by understanding your ingredients and how they interact. This cost of this class is $49 per person. A light meal will be served after the tasting exercises are completed.
- Wednesday, February 20th from 6 pm to 8 pm- Hands-On Sushi Making Class with Chef Summer Pruett. Chef Summer spent a portion of last year in Japan, perfecting her sushi skills. You’ll learn to make sushi vinegar and sushi rice, then you’ll make Tekka Maki (Tuna Sushi Rolls), Sake (Fresh Salmon) Nigirizushi, and Trout Hand Rolls. This cost of this class is $55 per person.
2012 Cooking Class Calendar
October and November 2012 – All classes are held in the store
- Tuesday, October 9th from 6 pm to 8pm – Authentic Paella Class with Chef Maria Fernanda Candil. Enjoy traditional paella prepared by a Chef from Spain! Menu includes: Pan Tumaca (tomato, garlic and EVOO over bread) and Champiñones al Ajillo (garlic mushrooms) as the appetizers, Paella Valenciana o Mixta (with seafood and chicken) as main dish and Tarta de Santiago (almond cake) as the dessert. The price for this class is $49 person.
- Wednesday, October 17th from 6pm to 8 pm – Creative Nutrition with Raw Foods with Chef Alicia Ojeda. Whether you’re participating in a cleanse or just want to add more nutrition and variety to your daily meals, this will give you options you’ve never dreamed of! Menu includes: Kale Salad with Mock Tuna Pate; Almond Milk, Chia Pudding, Daikon Noodles with Nut Sauce; Zucchini Noodles with Herbed Tomato Sauce; and for dessert, a delicious fresh Parfait of Fruit. The cost for this class is $49 per person.
- Wednesday, November 7th from 6 pm to 8pm – Spicy New Orleans Gumbo Class with Chef Katy Parker, sponsored by Chantal Cookware. Menu includes: New Orleans Style Barbecue Shrimp; Creamy Creole Potato Salad; Traditional Cajun Chicken and Sausage Gumbo; and for dessert, Lemon-Tarragon Ice Box Pie. The price for this class is $49 person.
- Wednesday, November 14th from 6pm to 8 pm – A NEW Twist on OLD Traditions! Thanksgiving Class with Chef Katy Parker. Menu includes: Roasted Acorn Squash with Sage Sausage and Dried Cranberry Stuffing; Perfect Fried Turkey (the moistest turkey you’ve ever tasted!), Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pearl Onions, Bacon Lardons and Balsamic Glaze; and for a fun dessert, Pumpkin Butterscotch-Chip Cookies. The cost for this class is $49 per person.
September 2012 – All classes are held in the store
- Wednesday, September 12th from 6 pm to 8pm – Chef Mike Thompson Rings in September with an Oyster-Fest! Menu includes: Celebrate the beginning of Oyster season. Menu includes: Spicy Oyster Shooters; Oyster and Brie Soup; Oyster Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms; Baked Oysters Bienville; Oyster Po-Boy; and for dessert, Cherries Jubilee. (Sorry, no oysters in that!). The price for this class is $49 person.
- Wednesday, September 19th from 6pm to 8 pm – Good Chef Birjis Rashed brings us a Tour of India . Menu includes: Crunchy Samosas, stuffed with spicy potatoes, deep fried to golden brown; Butter Chicken Masala- a popular delicacy made with boneless chicken, marinated, grilled and cooked in masala sauce; Naan bread; Fragrant Basmati Rice Palav cooked with spices and herbs; Raita (Yogurt chutney with onion, peppers, cucumbers, and herbs); and for dessert, Kheer Rice Pudding made with milk, rice and dry fruits. The cost for this class is $49 per person.
August 2012 – All classes are held in the store
- Wednesday, August 22nd from 6 pm to 8pm – Chef Summertime Gourmet Burger Class with Chef Katy Parker. Menu includes: Kobe Beef Burgers with Chimay Cheese, Praline Bacon, Horseradish Mayo, Boston Lettuce and Balsamic Onion Jam; Quick and Spicy Pickles; Grilled Watermelon Salad with Feta and Tarragon Vinaigrette; Grilled Corn with Spicy Mayo, Raw Coconut, Lime, and Smoked Paprika; and for dessert, Root Beer Floats with Homemade Coffee Ice Cream. The price for this class is $49 person.
- Saturday, August 25th from 10 am to Noon- Knife Skills 2.0! Learn Advanced Knife Skills HANDS ON with Chef Katy Parker. In this class you will learn to French-cut a rack of lamb, as well as how to filet a whole fish. The chef will demonstrate all cuts, followed by a hands-on session where you will be able to practice your new skills with a boning knife. In addition, the chef will prepare dishes you can make with your lamb and fish- and be sure to bring a small cooler, because you’ll be able to take what you’ve produced with you so you can make these recipes yourself at home. You’ll end up with enough lamb and fish- and some terrific recipes- to make TWO dinners for TWO adults. During the class, the chef will prepare Pan-seared Lamb Chops with Tabbouleh and Grilled Eggplant Caprese Stacks, and Sauteed Filet of Fish with Polenta and Red Cabbage, Asparagus and Cherry Tomato Salad for you to sample. We’ll email you the grocery list in advance so that you can be sure that you have everything you need to prepare your two dinners that weekend, and you’ll receive the recipes during class. The cost for this class is $59.
- Wednesday, August 29th from 6pm to 8 pm – Good Healthy Meals for Busy Lives with Chef Andew Brooks. Just because things are hectic doesn’t mean you can’t have great, tasty and nutritious meals. Menu includes: Simple Roasted Chicken with Rosemary Jus, Fresh Tomato Salad with Olives, Crunchy Fennel, and Baby Arugula; 6-minute Broccoli Risotto with Pesto and Parmesan; and The BLT Salad: Local Greens and Tomatoes, Crisp Bacon, Organic Cucumber, Grilled Squashes, and Fresh Herbs with Lemon-Oregano Vinaigrette. The cost for this class is $49 per person.
- All classes are held in the store from 6:00-8:00.
- Please arrive at 5:45 PM to ensure a timely start to the class.
- Classes are demonstration format and include copies of the recipes along with demonstrations and sample tasting.
- The cost for most 2013 classes is $50 per person per class, unless otherwise noted in the class description. Classes must be paid for in advance.
- Classes range from 10 to 15 students per class, and each space is sold in advance on a first come, first serve basis. If classes are full, we will be happy to add you to our waiting list.
- No reservations will be taken without payment under any circumstances.
- Menus are subject to change at the chef’s discretion.
If your cancellation is received 48 hours prior to class: You may have the class fee transferred to another available class or you may receive a full refund.
If you cancel less than 48 hours prior to class or if you do not attend the class: We regret that your class fee at that point is NON-REFUNDABLE & NON-TRANSFERABLE. When last minute conflicts occur, please consider sending someone in your place. Reservations for groups of 5 or more will require 7 days notice for refund. Faraday’s Kitchen Store reserves the right to cancel classes. In that event, we will notify you and provide a full refund or credit.
Located at 1501 RR 620 North, Lakeway, TX 78734- (512) 266-5666